|Address:||1989 Poplar Ridge Rd.
Melbourne, KY 41059
|Hours:||10-4:30 p.m. Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday
Tuesday 10-5:30 p.m. and Saturday 9-1:30 p.m.
New tags will be going on sale on June first, the application is available online HERE. All animals over the age of 6 months must have proof of rabies by a certified veterinarian before we can issue a tag.
Read about the Shelter's new Community Cat Diversion Program HERE
Interested in volunteering at the shelter? Read HERE for more information.
Develop a plan of action for your shelter for handling foreclosures.
Shelter Statistics: (New TNR program added as of 10/1/2016)
Open your home to one of these loving pets today!
Pets available for adoption can be found HERE. Please check back often, listings are updated automatically as pets are adopted and new pets come in!
A new pet requires a time and financial commitment from their owner. Please check this guideline for choosing a pet.
Dogs and cats are available for adoption daily. The adoption fee for a dog or puppy is $90 including a county dog license. Cat or kitten adoptions are $70.
The adoption fees include a free veterinarian check-up, heart worm testing or feline leukemia/FIV testing, micro-chipping, worming, first set of shots, and a $10 rabies voucher. All animals are spay/neutered before adopted.
Avoiding Bad Habits
Avoiding Dog Bites
Caring For Your New Pet
Choosing A Pet
Finding Your Lost Pet
Protect your Pet from Poison
Spaying & Neutering Benifits
Give free food and care for those in need at the Animal Rescue Site!
Lost a pet or found a pet? Let people know here.
Looking for a pet friendly apartment? Check MyApartmentMap.com or ApartmentsList.com
Recycle to help the Animal Shelter
Looking for Dog Training? NBK9Training.com
Need Pet Feed? kmfeed.com
Steps to Take When You Find a Lost Dog or Cat
- Call your local shelter to report you found a pet
- Sign up for lost & found email alerts by going to fidofinder.com
- Print up flyers and post it throughout your neighborhood
- Contact animal control
- Contact local vets in your area
- Bring to your local shelter so they can hold for the stray time. If interested in adopting then you can place a $10.00 hold.
Holiday Pet Safety Tips
- Chocolate in all forms - especially dark or baking chocolate, can be very dangerous for dogs and cats. Symptoms of significant chocolate ingestion may include vomiting, diarrhea, hyperactivity, increased thirst, frequent urination, elevated heart rate and seizures.
- Candies and chewing gum - containing the artificial sweetener "xylitol" can be poisonous to dogs. Even small amounts of sweetener can cause a sudden drop in blood sugar, which leads to depression, lack of coordination and seizures. In cases of significantly low blood sugar, liver failure has been known to occur.
- Ingesting tin foil and cellophane candy wrappers - can pose a choking hazard or causes intestinal blockage.
- Don't leave your pet in the yard on Halloween - There are many pranksters on this evening that have teased, injured, stolen, or even killed pets.
- Trick-or-Treat candies are not for pets - Chocolate is poisonous to many animals, and candy wrappers can be hazardous if swallowed.
- Be careful of pets around Jack-O'-Lanterns - Pets can knock these over and cause fires. Curious kittens are a high risk to getting burned.
- Don't dress your pet in a costume unless you know he/she loves it - Costumes can cause stress on your pets.
Dangers from Christmas Trees
- Needles – needles from the tree are indigestible, (even artificial) so keep your pet away from the tree as much as possible.
- Artificial Trees – small pieces of plastic or aluminum can break off and be swallowed. This can cause intestinal blockage or irritation of the mouth.
- Stand Water – don’t use preservatives, this can be toxic if consumed by a thirsty pet.
- Lights – lights can get very hot, remove them from the lower branches of the tree to prevent burning.
- Tinsel – the sharp edges can cause cuts in the mouth and can also block intestine causing many side effects.
- Ornaments – don’t use edible ornaments, and refrain from using fragile glass ornaments. Ornaments with hooks could possibly snag an ear or tail. If swallowed, they can get lodged in the throat.
- Angel Hair – Angel hair is generally made of spun glass, and can cause irritation on contact.
- Electrical Cords – tape firmly to the walls or floor so they can’t be chewed on.
- Poinsettias – these are very dangerous to your pets if they are ingested. Please keep them away from your pet.
- Christmas Trees Anchor tree securely. Climbing cats and wagging tail dogs can knock it over Hang breakable, glass ornaments well out of reach. Keep tinsel, ribbons, garland out of pets reach especially cats that are intrigued by them. Can become lodged in their throat. Clean all pine needles frequently. Can be toxic. Prevent your pet from drinking water in the tree stand.
- Holiday House Plants Lilies can be deadly to cats and so many plants can cause cats to have kidney failure Poinsettia although not as toxic as people think can upset your pets digestive system Mistletoe, especially berries is highly toxic. Holly, Amaryllis and Hibiscus can cause vomiting and diarrhea Certain types of Ivy, such as English Ivy can cause harm
- Lights, candles and fragrance Keep lights and extension cords safely secured or covered to deter chewing, which can lead to electric shock or even electrocution. Better yet invest in pet-proof extension cords, or spray with products or spray with Bitter Apple or Chew Stop Candles can be fragrant and enticing to pets. Can be a fire hazard if knocked over. Liquid potpourri and sachets can be very dangerous.